Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Ooey-Gooey Peanut Butter Chocolate Brownies


This is an unusual recipe in that you have to make several adaptations because you're using light ingredients. The end result is delicious though, especially if you're a chocolate lover like me, and Samuel deemed this a "keeper" recipe.

Traditional brownies:
Calories per serving: 200
Fat: 10

This recipe:
Calories per serving: 176
Fat: 5 grams

Yields: 2 dozen bars

Ingredients
3/4 c fat-free sweetened condensed milk, divided
1/4 c butter or stick margarine, melted and cooled (I always use unsalted butter)
1/4 c fat-free milk
1 (18.25 oz) package of devil's food cake mix
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
Cooking Spray
1 (7 oz) jar of marshmallow creme
1/2 c peanut butter chips

Directions
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine 1/4 c condensed milk, butter, and the next 3 ingredients. Batter will be very stiff.

Coat the bottom of a 13 x 9 inch baking pan with cooking spray. Press two-thirds of the batter into your prepared pan using floured hands (I dusted my hands with cocoa powder); pat evenly to create an even, thin layer. Note: After spreading the batter with my fingertips, I used the palm of my hands to even the bottom layer and spread to the corners.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Allow brownies to cool slightly. Note: Oven time will vary. I baked mine for 7 minutes.

Combine 1/2 c remaining condensed milk and marshmallow cream in a bowl; stir in peanut butter chips.

Spread mixture carefully and evenly over brownie layer.

Carefully drop the remaining batter by spoonfuls over the mixture (I patted my spoonfuls of batter into little patties before laying them atop the mixture).

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Note: Periodically check the brownies to see if the marshmallow mixture is browning too much. If that starts to happen, cover it with foil.

Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. This allows the moist internal layer to set.



No comments:

Post a Comment