Saturday, August 22, 2009

Salisbury Steak






Last night I was faced with a dilemma. I had two pounds of ground beef that was already defrosted (or as my friend Hannah says dethawed) and didn't know what to do with it. It was after 5 and I didn't want to turn the oven on. I didn't want to make meat loaf--it would take too long or hamburgers (I didn't have any buns). What to do? I pull out my cook book The Taste of Home cook book and started flipping through. I found a recipe for Salisbury Steak. I haven't ever made it before but it turned out pretty good. It tasted a lot like meat loaf but it didn't take nearly as long and used ingredients I had in the cupboard.

Salisbury Steak with Onion Gravy

1 egg
1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed French onion soup, undiluted, divided (I used a french onion mix because I had it)
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs (I used Italian seasoned)
1/4 teaspoon salt
Dash pepper
1-1/2 pounds ground beef
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cold water
6 cups hot cooked egg noodles (I used instant mashed potatoes instead-its what I had)
chopped fresh parsley, optional

1) In a large bowl beat egg. Stir in 1/3 cup of soup, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture; mix gently. Shape into six oval patties

2) In a skillet, brown patties over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove and set aside; drain if needed. Add the water, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and remaining soup to skillet. Bring to a boil.

3) Return patties to skillet. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minuts or unti lmeat is no longer pink. Remove patties.

4) Combine flour and cold water until smooth. Stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve patties and gravy over noodles. Garnish with parsley if desired.



Since I used 2 lbs of ground beef, I had a few extra patties. Tonight I made spaghetti out of the leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment