Thursday, September 3, 2009

Failure


Just thought I'd share my failure as a baker today. I was trying to make Abby a roller skate cake for her birthday and it was a disaster! First off I don't like doing cakes because they always turn out crappy or something doesn't go quite as well as I expected.

After I took the cake out of the pan it got this huge split right in the center. I thought "ok I can deal with this I'm cutting the cake anyways to make the skate. So then I cut it and start to piece it together and realize that how I had to cut it because of the split made it not turn out exactly like the picture. But again I kept going "it will be ok after I frost it and decorate it with the candy." So I begin to frost it and it doesn't look great but I figure that after I put the candy on it will look better. I finish frosting it and then start to put the candies on to make it look like a skate. It's looking better and I'm excited. A few minutes later I notice all of the candies sliding off of the cake. The frosting is getting a little runny. I'm freaking out it doesn't look good at all and I can't fix it. I scrap the whole cake. "Forget it I can't do cut up cakes."


I decided to make another cake and figure out a way to put a skate on it with out cutting it. Bill and I do a little brainstorming while the other cake was baking. I ended up having Bill make me a skate shoe template out of wax paper.

After the cake is done baking I realize that I don't have a whole lot of time to get this cooled and frosted before we have to leave. So I put the cake in the fridge and also the frosting. After about ten minutes I realize that the cake is not going to be cool enough on time so I stick it in the freezer. About 5 minutes before we have to leave I pull it out of the freezer and it's still kinda warm, but oh well it's now or never.

I frost the cake with white frosting and then stick the template Bill made for me on the top at an angle. I pull out my purple icing (I had a choice of blue or purple that I had from another cake I made, I think it was the island one) I trace around the template with the icing and then remove the template and fix the frosting a little. Then I get some purple sugar sprinkles ( that are a part of the Halloween sprinkles I have) and sprinkle that in the center where the template was. Then I add the Oreo cookies for the wheels and some licorice for the laces and in about 5 minutes I have a replacement cake. Just in the nick of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment