Monday, March 14, 2011

Forgotten Jambalaya

This was my stretch recipe. I HATE seafood. I hate the smell, the texture, the taste. However, this recipe had some really good reviews on Taste of Home, so I thought that I would give it a shot and hope for the best.

Ingredients:
1 can Diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can beef or chicken broth
1 can tomato paste
2 medium green bell peppers, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
3 celery ribs, chopped
5 cloves of garlic, minced
3 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
2 teaspoons dried basil
1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1-1/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (I used Sriracha)
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 pound smoked sausage, halved and cut into 1/4 inch slices
1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp (This was horribly expensive at the time, so I got some previously cooked, frozen shrimp meat. Joe said that it was just fine)
Hot cooked rice

Directions:
1. In a 5 quart slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, broth and tomato paste.
2. Stir in green peppers, onion, celery, garlic and seasonings.
3. Stir in chicken and sausage.
4. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or until chicken is tender.
5. Stir in shrimp.
6. Cover and cook for 15-30 minutes longer until shrimp turn pick. (We left our frozen shrimp meat in for 30 minutes)
7. Serve with rice.

Notes:
Joe LOVED this...The boys and I, not so much. I could not get past the smell! I ferreted out the chicken chunks, which tasted really good. Then I couldn't do it anymore and me and the boys resorted to left overs. However, I froze the remaining Jambalaya for Joe. He has had it since, and said that it was just as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment